Thursday, May 27, 2010

Strong and Invincible?

Check out my review of Sex and the City 2 over at the Ms. Blog. A teaser:
About halfway through Sex and the City 2, which opens today nationwide, the fabulous foursome of HBO’s hit-television-show-turned-feature-film-franchise perform a rousing karaoke rendition of the 1970s feminist anthem “I Am Woman” in a nightclub in the heart of Abu Dhabi. As Carrie, Miranda, Samantha and Charlotte croon–“I am strong. I am invincible. I am woman”—belly dancers strut, pose and sway their hips on an elevated catwalk above them. An exercise in astounding campy discordance, this scene epitomizes both the unanticipated pleasures and the substantial foibles of director and writer Michael Patrick King’s sequel to the critically unacclaimed (yet commercially successful) first Sex and the City film in 2008.
You can read the rest here.

3 comments:

Priya Shankar said...

Hi! I just stumbled upon your blog and really enjoyed reading it. Interesting points about the Sex and the City Movie. Also, it's great to connect with another women's rights activist. Anyways, i just wrote a post on women in Hinduism, feel free to check it out if you'd like- www.priyaishankar.blogspot.com

Looking forward to reading more of your posts!

Aviva DV said...

Hi Priya, thanks for your comments and for stopping by! I'll make sure to check out your blog.

Jen said...

GROSS! I admit, I was quite obsessed with "Sex and the City" as a teenager, as was my little sister...we went to see the first film together, and we were disgusted.
During seasons 5 and 6 of the show, it became much less realistic. Then came the movie - all of a sudden these women were multimillionaires, projecting absolutely unrealistic femininities to young women.
Now belly dancing in the U.A.E.? Where women wear head scarfs, and people are arrested for making out on the beach? I'm guessing some of that goes on in the new film too...pure speculation, as I will NOT be seeing it, and I never anticipated there being a second film after the first was such trash. The first few seasons of the show were liberating...after that the franchise sold out, and it was all downhill from there.