Tuesday, May 26, 2009

California Upholds Prop 8 Gay Marriage Ban

I'm so annoyed right now I don't think I have the wherewithal for an intelligent and thoughtful rant, so I'll just take the time to say this to the world:

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Okay, that didn't really make me feel better. But the flurry I've email I've been receiving in the past few hours from various pro-LGBT organizations does make this disheartening moment a little less hard to handle.

In case you're in need of a little community therapy, like I was, go get a free "I Love Love" bumper sticker from CREDO, check out Equality California's campaign to overturn Prop 8, and watch the Courage Campaign's video "Fidelity". And, of course, feel free to donate if you can.

Again: ARRRRGGGGHHHH.

That is all.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

deeply saddened that the rights, privileges, and protections are afforded to people selectively.

AD Miller said...

For me the joy of seeing Obama elected president was completely undermined by the pain of Proposition 8. Today, the joy of seeing a Hispanic woman nominated for the Supreme Court was completely undermined by the pain of seeing Prop 8 upheld by the California Supreme Court. I refuse to see today as ANY kind of victory for the legal/justice system. I want President Obama to stand behind his own words when he said: "I will seek someone who understands that justice isn't about some abstract legal theory or footnote in a case book. It is also about how our laws affect the daily realities of people's lives, whether they can make a living and care for their families; whether they feel safe in their homes and welcome in their own nation."

He seems unconcerned with how such abstract legal theories impact his LGTB constituents and until he stands up for the rights of the LGTB community, I will call him what he is: a huge hypocrite, one who thought he could use the excitement over the nomination of Sotomayor to distract people from the controversy and pain caused by the California Supreme Court decision.

Brianna J said...

Honestly? I'm not angry at all (no more than I was before, anyway!) I was a little afraid that they would annul the 18,000 preexisting marriages, and was happy that they didn't. So, I'm actually rather hopeful - so many other states have allowed gay marriage - surely others (CA included) will come around.

Or else they won't - and I'll be angry again!