Monday, April 6, 2009

Heineken beer ad -- funny or not?

I'm torn. The first time I saw this commercial on television last week, I found it absolutely hysterical. But now, I'm not sure. Should I be offended?

I haven't found an English version of the video online yet, but there's not much talking anyway...



On the one hand, I know that stereotypes are bad, can lead to skewed perceptions about gender roles, and shouldn't, in practice, be encouraged. On the other hand, I feel like this commercial makes both the women and the men look absolutely ridiculous. It's so clear that the advertisers are playing on very common stereotypes about men and women, that I'm not finding myself too upset about it.

What do you think?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I thought it was pretty freaking funny.

Damawa said...

I don't find it funny. But I don't think that, as you said, only women should feel offended.
Besides, I'm a girl and I love beer.

Dr. Jay SW said...

From a male perspective, it's essentially telling me the same things about myself that practically every other aspect of popular culture does: I care about beer, football, and cars and not much else, since, y'know, I wouldn't want anyone to think I'm gay. I have no interest in women except for purposes of fucking (since actually enjoying their company as opposed to that of the guys would definitely raise suspicions that I'm gay, and no way could I handle that). So, ultimately, I don't find it either funny or offensive...just boring.

Dr. Jay SW said...

Oh...explosions, too. I love movies with lots of explosions in them. Why would I go to movie without explosions? You think I'm gay or something?

Aviva DV said...

No, no, NO, Jay. All men love beer! All women love clothes and shoes! Why are you trying to pervert the world by suggesting otherwise?