Monday, September 15, 2008

Sexism, noun

From the Oxford English Dictionary:
sexism, n: prejudice, stereotyping, or discrimination, typically against women, on the basis of sex.
(my emphasis)

Do we need to explain to the McCain campaign the difference between sexism and satirical criticism? Just because someone is a woman and you're making fun of that someone doesn't automatically make it sexist. Why are you doing this to me Carly Fiorina? I don't want to even have to think about Sarah Palin anymore, let alone talk about her, and you all keep making me. Of course, that's been your ploy all along. But we're on to you, McCain. America is on to you. I hope.



H/T Appetite for Equal Rights for the vid.

P.S.: Check out Feministing's new anti-Palin shirt.

4 comments:

Queers United said...

God bless SNL.

sally said...

It really bothers me that the McCain camp keeps insisting that any attack on Palin is sexist. It doesn't even make sense -- there just isn't any logic there. I also hope that reporters start calling them out on their own sexist attacks against Clinton.

Unknown said...

We never talked about sexism when Hillary was running for president. It kills me that the Republicans are using sexism as a cure all for their problems...

"Sarah Palin has no foreign policy experience? That's a sexist remark!"

It's incredible how illogical this campaign has been.
http://feministreaction.blogspot.com/
I loved SNL's skit!

Aviva DV said...

It's a bit like the Republicans are third-graders who just learned a new insult. It may have been effective the first few times they used it, and now they will apply it whenever possible even if it makes absolutely no sense.